Yossi David is a visiting scholar in the Department of Communication, Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. His dissertation, Gendering Political Conflict: Gender Perceptions and Public Opinion in the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, investigates the role of gender perceptions and constructions in the formation of Jewish-Israeli emotions and attitudes toward racialized others. His research focuses on the ways in which media (discourses and technologies) and social constructions (gender, race, and ethnicity) shape attitudes, emotions, and political behavior. Yossi was awarded a Harry and Sylvia Hoffmann Leadership Fellowship for Outstanding PhD Candidate (2014–2017), a Child Arrest and Access to Justice in East Jerusalem Award (2018-2019), and a Joint Israeli Palestinian Polls Project Scholarship (2010–2017). His research has been published in high-ranking journals such as Discourse & Society (Forthcoming), Media Culture and Society (2018), Information, Communication & Society (2018), and Journal of Conflict Resolution (2018).
- David, Y. & Baden, C. (2018). Reframing community boundaries: The erosive power of new media spaces in authoritarian societies. Information, Communication and Society. doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2018.1486869
- Baden, C. & David, Y. (2017). On Resonance: A study of culture-dependent reinterpretations of extremist violence in Israeli media discourse. Media Culture and Society. Media Culture and Society, 40(4), 514-534.
- David, Y., Shamir, J. & Simpser, A. (2017). When (Facebook) status and (socioeconomic) status took to the street: Communications, political involvement, and the climate of opinion in the summer 2011 protests in Israel. Megamot, 52(1), 390-359. [Hebrew]
- David, Y., Rosler, N., & Maoz, I. (2017). Gender-empathic constructions, empathy and support for compromise in intractable conflict. Journal of Conflict Resolution. doi.org/10.1177/0022002717701818
- Shalhoub-Kevorkian, N., & David, Y., & Ihmoud, S. (2016). Theologizing state crime. State Crime Journal, 5(1), 139-162.
- David, Y., Rosler, N., Ellis, D., & Maoz, I. (2016). Gendering human rights: Threat and gender perceptions as predictors of attitudes towards violating human rights in asymmetric conflict. Peace and Conflict Studies, 23(1), 1-26.
- Shalhoub-Kevorkian, N., & David, Y. (2016). Is the violence of Tag Mehir a state crime?. British Journal of Criminology, 56(5), 835-856.
- David, Y., & Maoz, I. (2015). Gender perceptions and support for compromise in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 21(2), 295-298.
- Hartal, G., David, Y., & Pascar, L. (2014). Safe space. Mafte’akh: Lexical Review of Political Thought, 8, 93-120. [Hebrew]
Select Presentations and Conference Papers:
- Media and Framing as Drivers of Political Participation: Evidence from the Social Justice Movement in Israel. A paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association (ICA), Prague, Czech Republic, May 2018.
- Reframing Community Boundaries: The Erosive Power of New Media Spaces in Authoritarian Societies. With Christian Baden. A paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association (ICA), Prague, Czech Republic, May 2018.
- Media, Public Opinion, and Political Participation. A paper presented at the Third Annual International Journal of Press/Politics conference (IJPP), University of Oxford, UK, September 2017.
- Sexualizing the Others in Israeli Digital Media. A paper presented at the IV European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, Barcelona, Spain, September 2017.
- Climate of Opinion and Political Participation in the 2011 Israeli Social Protest Movement. With Alberto Simpser & Jacob Shamir. A paper presented at the annual meeting of the World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR), Lisbon, Portugal, July 2017.
- Interactive Chat and Candidate Impression Formation: How Social Presence Mediates and Enhances Political Evaluations. With Asta Zelenkauskaite & Erik Bucy.A paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association (ICA), San Diego, USA, June 2017.
- [Re]constructing Queer “Safe Spaces”. With Lital Pascar and Hartal Gilly. A paper presented at the III European Geographies of Sexualities Conference, “La Sapienza” University, Rome. September 2015.
- Gendering Human Rights: Threat and Gender Perceptions as Predictors of Attitudes towards Violating Human Rights in Asymmetric Conflict. With Ifat Maoz. A paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Communication Association (ICA), San Juan, Puerto Rico, May 2015.
- Safe Space. With Lital Pascar and Hartal Gilly. A paper presented at the Lexical Ninth Conference of Critical Political Thought, Minerva Center for the Humanities, Tel Aviv University, Israel, January 2013.
- Pluralistic Ignorance and Information in the 2011 Social Protest. With Jacob Shamir & Alberto Simpser. A paper presented at the Association for Israel Studies Conference, Haifa University, Israel, June 2012.
- Institute for Critical Social Inquiry (ICSI) at the New School for Social Research, participation at Prof. Judith Butler summer seminar Freud to Klein: Death Drive, Pleasure, Ethics. June 2016.
Recent Activities and Awards:
- Methodology Advisor for quantitative methods and research ethics. The Department of Communication at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (2015-2018)
- The Harry and Sylvia Hoffmann leadership fellowship for outstanding PhD Candidate, the Hebrew University (2014-17)
- The Truman Institute for the Advancement of Peace, the Hebrew University, the Joint Israeli Palestinian Poll (2010-17)
- Co-organizer of three panel sessions on Queer “Safe Spaces” in the III European Geographies of Sexualities Conference "Crossing Boundaries: Sexualities, Media and (urban) Spaces". Co-organized by Yossi David, the Hebrew University, Lital Pascar, Northwestern University, & Gilly Hartal, Bar Ilan University. Take place at Rome, 16-18 September 2015
- Member of the scholar peer group at The Center for the Advancement of Women in the Public Sphere, Van Leer Jerusalem Institute (2014-2015)
- Member of the Sexism and Racism Group, scholar peer group for graduate students at the Minerva Humanities Center, Tel-Aviv University (2013-2014)
- Member of the organizing committee, “Mind the Gap: Academy and Activism within the Queer Community,” the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (2012)
- The Levi Eshkol Institute for Social, Economic and Political Research in Israel Fellowship (2011-12)
- The Shaine Center for research in Social Sciences and the Levi Eshkol Institute Fellowship (2011-12)
- The Lafer Center for Women and Gender Studies Fellowship (2010-11)