I am a PhD researcher in the Department of Communication at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. I am originally from Germany, and I have a background in Media Studies. Since October 2019, I am part of an international ERC research project called “Digital Values”.
My dissertation focuses on the constructions of values on social media platforms, and specifically the roles that the interfaces (technologies, algorithms, policies) of platforms play in this construction.
- Critical platform studies
- Algorithmic culture
- Social media research
- Hallinan, Blake et al. 2021 (forthcoming). “Mapping the Transnational Imaginary of Social Media Genres. New Media & Society.
- Ackermann, Judith et al. (2019). “Programming the Postdigital: Curation of Appropriation Processes in (Collaborative) Creative Coding Spaces” Postdigital Science and Education. DOI: 10.1007/s42438-019-00088-1
- Scharlach, Rebecca (2019). Review: Digitale Medien zwischen Transparenz und Manipulation - Internet und politische Kommunikation in der repräsentativen Demokratie. TV Diskurs.
Awards and Prizes
- 2019 – Nomination “AI Newcomer 2019”, German Science Year “Artificial Intelligence”, German Ministry for Science & Education/ German Association of Computer Science
- 2019 – Award for the best Master thesis, Film University Babelsberg Konrad Wolf, Germany
- 2019 – PROMOS, DAAD Scholarship
- 2018 – PROMOS, DAAD Scholarship
- 2017-2018 Deutschlandstipendium (“Germany Scholarship”)