Academic Background and Fields of Interests
Alexandra Herfroy-Mischler (Ph.D) is an Associate Researcher at the Harry S. Truman Institute for the Advancement of Peace and the French CNRS (CRFJ) in Jerusalem. She also lectures at the Hebrew University in the Journalism and Communication Department as well as the Rothberg International School. She completed her Ph.D at the Department of Media Studies, Université de la Sorbonne Nouvelle, (Paris 3), France. Her research focuses on Journalism Practices and Political Communication with an emphasis on transitional justice/ conflict resolution, intelligence and counter-terrorism. Her research has been published in Media, War & Conflict Journal (2015), Journalism: Theory, Practice & Criticism (2016; 2018), Studies in Conflict and Terrorism (2018), and Visual Communication (2018).
Publications in Peer Review Journals
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Barr, A (2018). "Jihadist Visual Communication Strategy: ISIL's Hostage Executions Video Production". Visual Communication, Online First 19/10/2018 https://doi.org/10.1177/1470357218803396
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman E (2018) " The ‘blame game frame’: Ethical blame patterns and media framing upon negotiations failure in the Middle East". Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, Published Online First 13/08/2018 https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884918791219.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Barr, A (2018). "ISIL's Execution Videos: Audience Segmentation and Terrorist Communication in the Digital Age". Studies in Conflict & Terrorism, 41(12): 946-967, DOI: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1057610X.2017.1361282
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2016). "When the Past seeps into the Present: The role of Press Agencies in circulating new historical narratives and restructuring collective memory during and after Holocaust Transitional Justice". Journalism: Theory, Practice and Criticism, 17(7): 823-844, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1464884915592406
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2015). "Silencing the Agenda? Journalism Practices and Intelligence Events: A Case Study". Media, War and Conflict, 8(2): 244-263, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1750635215584285
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2013). Post-Transitional Apology: expressing contrition whilst addressing the Holocaust Transitional Justice’s failure, in Public Apology: between Ritual and Regret, Daniel Cuypers, Daniel Janssen, Jacques Haers, Barbara Segaert (eds), Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi, 167-188.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2008). La couverture agencière de l’affaire des « fonds juifs en déshérence » dans les banques suisses (1995-2005): Enjeux nationaux et internationaux du traitement de l’actualité concernant l’Histoire économique de la Shoah pour l’agence Télégraphique Suisse et Associated Press, Palmer, M and Aubert, A. (eds). L’information Mondialisée, Paris : L’Harmattan, 53-61.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2007). Swiss Press Agency and AP coverage of the Jewish accounts in Swiss banks story: 1995-2005 in International News viewed from France, Media professionals and academic research: parallel approaches, Proceedings of the Symposium, Sorbonne University, 189-198.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2018). "Jihadist Visual Communication Strategy: Unveiling ISIL's Hostage executions videos production". Second Young Researchers Workshops on Terrorism and Belligerency. The Minerva Center for the Rule of Law under Extreme Conditions, Haifa University. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MglNW9rxeqQ
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2019). Panel Member with Dr. Paul Lashmar (City University of London) and Prof. Vian Bakir (Bangor University): "How to see in the 'Wilderness of Mirrors': Educating early career journalists in National Security reporting" International Journalism Festival (XIII Edition), Perugia, Italy, April 3-7.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2018). "Religion, politics and Public Discourse: Framing ISIL's soldiers belief that they carry Allah's will in the world by executing Muslims, Christians and Jewish hostages". Oxford Symposium on Religious Studies, University Church in Oxford, December 5th-7th.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. and Friedman E. (2018). "The 'Blame Game' Frame: Discursive Blame Ethics and Media Framing upon Negotiations Failure", CADAAD-2018 Conference: Critical Approaches to Discourse Analysis across Disciplines, 4-6 July 2018, University of Aalborg.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman, E. (2018). "The Blame Game Frame in the Middle East". Centre de Recherche Français de Jérusalem, UMIFRE n°7 CNRS – MAEDI, USR 3132. 18 June
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2017). "The role of press agencies in restructuring collective memory during and after the Holocaust transitional justice". XXVII conference - IAMHIST 2017 – University Paris 2 (CARISM)- 10-13, July.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman, E (2017) "The 'Blame Game' Frame: Discursive Blame Strategies and Media Framing upon Negotiations Failure". DiscourseNet 19 Conference – Discourse, Knowledge and Practice in Society. July 7-8, University of Bucharest.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman, E (2017) "The 'Blame Game' Frame: Discursive Blame Strategies and Media Framing upon Negotiations Failure". Talking Peace – Going to War: The Third Annual Truman Institute Discourse Conference. April 30 Truman Institute, Hebrew University.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman, E (2017) "The 'Blame Game' Frame: Discursive Blame Strategies and Media Framing upon Negotiations Failure". Haifa University, Communications Department seminar, April 4.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Friedman, E (2017) "The 'Blame Game' Frame: Discursive Blame Strategies and Media Framing upon Negotiations Failure". The Israeli Communication Association Annual Conference, Sderot, Israel, April 2.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A (2017) 'La stratégie de production des vidéos d’exécution de Daesh: narratifs et audiences' Journée d’études, Terrorisme et Séries TV en Démocratie, Appel CNRS Attentats- Recherche, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A (2016) 'Daesh Information and Communication Strategy'. Annual Conference, Comite Attentats-Recherche, CNRS, Paris.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A and Barr, A. (2015) 'Execution as a Strategic Tool: Fear and Legitimization in Daesh's Media Agenda-Setting'. First annual Conference of the International Journal of Press/Politics, hosted by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, the University of Oxford, England.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2014) 'Oral History and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: Journalists in the Newsroom Remember the Failed Mossad Operation against Hezbollah in Bern, Switzerland, 1998'. The International Oral History Conference, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2014). 'Media Coverage of the Mossad: a case study'. 'Talking Peace, Make war', Symposium, The Harry S. Truman Research Institute for the Advancement of Peace.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2013). 'Post-Transitional Apology: expressing contrition whilst addressing the Holocaust Transitional Justice’s failure'. Panel presentation with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Department of Communication and Journalism at the ISPP Annual Conference, IDC Herzliya, Israel, Political Psychology of Global conflict.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2013). Silencing intelligence operation in Press Agencies: Swiss official and journalists' self-censorship whilst covering a failed Mossad operation, Bern 1998. International Communication Association (ICA) pre-conference, Royal Holloway, University of London, Media, War and Conflict Journal 5th anniversary conference.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2012). The perception and the effectiveness of apologies for the purpose of restorative justice in different culture: The restitution process of Holocaust Heirless accounts held in Swiss banks (1995-2005) and its press coverage. The UCSIA workshop on 'The Ritual of Public Apology', Antwerpen University.
- Herfroy-Mischler, A. (2007). Comparing Swiss press agency and Associated Press coverage in Switzerland and in Israel about the Holocaust heirless assets stored in Swiss banks affair (1995-2005): a way to define the time-scales of a contemporary historical event? The 50th anniversary IAMCR Conference at the UNESCO in Paris.